Saturday 11 July 2015

Poppies & Peonies.




I've become obsessed with my garden. We're lucky enough to have both a front and back garden; I'm banned from having any involvement in the back garden as that's 'where grass should be' so whilst I leave Harps to measure/groom/obsess over his lawn, I've taken to creating the nicest front garden in the street (I may be a little biased ok?)

We wood chipped over the weedy mangle that was there when we moved in almost four years ago. It seemed the easiest way for two total non gardeners who work full time to manage. Weed control is possibly one of the most tedious jobs in all the lands. I almost regret it now though as I spend every sunny moment potting and planting and re-potting and re-planting. The bargain sections of garden centres are practically going out of business thanks to me. This week alone I've planted a honeysuckle (with the intention of it growing over my door like some sort of fairytale...) A peony plant (totally in time for next year to use for my wedding!) My poppies are in full bloom (grown from seed like a magic green fingered giant.) And I have strawberries that I'm on an obsessed slug watch for...

My new plan has become; grow as much as I can ready for next year and save the money on my wedding flowers! Who wants to bet I'll be carrying my own stinging nettles and doc leaves down the aisle next year? 

Tell me all about your gardens!
Love Sophie Xx


3 comments:

  1. A sign were getting old for sure Sophie - I've been a little garden obsessed this year too!
    For the past 3 years I've wanted to grow my own food but we haven't any room for a greenhouse so that'll have to wait until we buy a place. It makes me a little jealous that our back windows look out onto an allotment with so many amazing things growing!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep I never thought I would become obsessed with gardening until I got our allotment five years ago and now I have an abundance of house plants, a garden I actually planned and an allotment that probably saves us around £600 a year on the cost of fruit and veg. You start off small and then the obsession grows!! I grew flowers for our wedding, we had great success with sunflowers which where cheerful and dramatic and sweet peas that were delicate and smelt amazing (but I hasten to add I wasn't too bothered about a floral theme so chucked any old seed in, I think we even had brambles in our table display?!). Good luck with the growing I can't wait to hear about your progress!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow, your garden sounds incredible! I love that you grow strawberries as well as flowers. I live in a flat so no garden for me at the moment - I hope we'll move into a house with a garden when we decide to leave our flat though, particularly because I like having a garden for my guinea pigs!

    x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to read my little blog. I LOVE comments, so click way!